To fortify by adding an extra nutrient to a food product can increase its nutritional value.
Nutrients are usually added to foods for three main reasons:
- To replace some of the nutrients lost during manufacturing and storage.
- Added to a “substitute” food to compensate for a missing nutrient present in the “traditional” alternative. A good example is vitamins A and D added to margarine, to make it similar to that found in butter.
- Nutrients added to foods that are not normally present in that food, to further enrich them.
Below is a list of the nutrients that Hawkins Watts can offer. Please contact us for more information.
Anthocyanins: Phytone UK manufactures a range of grape skin extracts, including standardised Anthocyanins with specific polyphenol contents.
Apple Extracts: Herbafood Ingredients, a division of Herbstreith & Fox, has developed a range of products including apple extracts with high polyphenol contents. These substances are known to possess antioxidant properties and to positively influence physiological processes in the body.
Apple & Citrus Fibres: Herbafood Ingredients, a division of Herbstreith & Fox, has a range of apple and citrus-derived fibres, including Herbacel AQ Plus Citrus Fibre. These fibres have a very high water-holding capacity and have been shown to sequester heavy metals, as well as promoting good intestinal health.
Astaxanthin: Astaxanthin, a naturally occurring carotenoid pigment, is a powerful biological antioxidant. Astaxanthin exhibits strong free radical scavenging activity and protects against lipid peroxidation and oxidative damage of LDL-cholesterol, cell membranes, cells, and tissues. It has been the focus of a large and growing number of peer-reviewed scientific publications. Astaxanthin is available from our Hawaiian supplier, Cyanotech.
Fibregum™ Gum Acacia is a natural soluble dietary fibre produced from an exudate of the Acacia Tree. It is a unique low viscosity fibre with excellent stability.
Fibregum™ contains more than 90% soluble fibre (dry matter basis) calculated using the official AOCS 985.29 method. Thanks to its high solubility and no added viscosity, Fibregum™ is easy to incorporate into many applications to reinforce their health benefits (beverages, cereal bars, baked goods, dairy products, nutraceuticals…).
Fibregum™ offers manufacturers several advantages over other fibre sources
- Fibregum™ is acid-resistant and has excellent stability in products such as juices and fruit products. For example Trials on a fruit juice (pH 3.2) containing 3% FIBREGUM™ stored at room temperature for 3 months showed no significant fibre loss due. Many other short-chain fibres do not have good stability below pH3 and may hydrolyse rapidly over time.
- Fibregum™ is a large molecule and is therefore fermented slowly in the gut. This helps promote the growth of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli which produce short-chain fatty acids associated with various physiological benefits of the gut and overall gut health. In addition, slow fermentation means that gas production is limited and does not lead to gut discomfort often associated with other smaller molecular weight fibres.
- Fibregum™ is easily dispersed in water and can be easily incorporated into most foods. It has a very low viscosity and a bland flavour, allowing it to be used easily in various formulations.
- Fibregum™ is completely natural and of vegetable origin. It is GMO-free, with no chemical or enzymatic modification and meets the requirements for “natural ingredient” declarations.
- Fibregum™ has several functional properties such as good film-forming properties, emulsification, improving cohesion, and moderating crystal formation.
Lecithin: In liquid or granular form, is often taken to reduce the absorption of cholesterol and to provide choline and other important nutrients.
Hawkins Watts New Zealand can provide ADM Yelkin TS liquid lecithin, powdered lecithin or Ultralec P/G granular lecithin.
Cardio-Aid Plant Sterols are based on soy sterols, combined with soy protein and lecithin to produce a water-dispersible sterol ingredient.
Plant sterols have a similar structure to cholesterol; when absorbed by the body, they will help block the amount of cholesterol absorbed, ultimately lowering the blood cholesterol levels. Plant sterols, however, are difficult to formulate into food products.
ADM’s Cardio-Aid product allows technologists to formulate products that provide the necessary health benefits without affecting taste or texture.
Resistant Maltodextrin: Fibresol-2 is a unique low-viscosity fibre that is highly soluble, yet contributes very little to taste or texture.
This resistant Maltodextrin will readily disperse and dissolve in water to form clear transparent solutions. It is very stable, yet contributes significantly to the analytical fibre content of products.
Fibresol-2 also helps promote healthy gut bacteria and good intestinal and overall health. Fibresol-2 is from Matsutani of Japan.
Soy Isoflavones: The consumption of soy products has been linked to many health benefits and may protect against breast cancer, prostate cancer, menopausal symptoms, heart disease and osteoporosis. Many of the health benefits of soy are derived from isoflavones.
Hawaiian Spirulina from Cyanotech is a micro-algae that is high in all-vegetable protein, rich in beta carotene, iron, vitamin B-12 and the rare, essential fatty acid, GLA. It offers a striking profile of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
Spirulina beta carotene is ten times more concentrated than carrots. It also has a broad range of amino acids, along with iron. Spirulina contains the essential fatty acid Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which is an essential component of breast milk.
Scientists are discovering the benefits of polysaccharides, sulfolipids and glycolipids, and the rainbow of natural pigments that give spirulina a deep green colour. Green (chlorophyll), blue (phycocyanin) and orange (carotenoids) colours collect the sun’s energy and power growth. Chlorophyll is a natural cleanser and is often referred to as nature’s green magic.
In March 2009 Cyanotech published the results of nutritional comparison testing of Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica®.
Omega-3 DHA and EPA Oil: Supplied by SeaDragon – New Zealand’s only refiner and blender of internationally certified human-grade Omega-3 DHA and EPA oils. Their products have been sustainably sourced from algae and by-products from fish caught in the pure waters of New Zealand and other certified sustainable fisheries. The three omega-3 bioactive compounds are sourced from three species: Marine-derived algae, Tuna and NZ Hoki. According to the GOED Omega-3 trade organisation, Omega-3 oils supports cardiovascular, eye and brain health.
Mushroom Powder: mBio harnesses the power of mushrooms. They produce vitamin D and vitamin B12 mushroom powders. Vegan sources of these key nutrients are rare and mBio offer a clean label and fully sustainable source. These highly concentrated forms can be easily incorporated into many foods helping manufacturers to meet the growing functional food trend.